I’d love to wake up every morning to this. Soft and delicious. Fruity and sweet. Homemade, bakery-style BIG blueberry muffin.
Never mind my husband snoozing next to me. Or one of my boys peeking from the bedroom door wondering if it’s yet time to get up. When I open my eyes, the first thing I’d love to see is this berry-filled muffin. I want to smell the fragrant scents of this homemade goodness, together with a steamy cappuccino.
I don’t remember if I mentioned before that last Christmas I got a new cappuccino machine. One of those Italian, semi-automatic, miracle coffee makers. Best present EVER.
The only issue now, I’m possibly addicted to coffee. And I might never be able to have a Starbucks cappuccino without wrinkling my nose. Oh well. The coffee tastes absolutely amazing, especially next to one of these sweet muffins. My coffee art skills … NOT so fabulous. The ridiculous shapes that come out of my foam look nothing like a heart. Even less a leaf or a cute smiling bear. I definitely have to work on it :)
Who wouldn’t want to wake up to one of these muffins. They are a sure way of perking up your morning. Every bite filled with sweet and juicy blueberries.
And they are so easy to make. All you need are the usual ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder …) and a bunch of sweet, fresh blueberries of course. A whisker or a spoon and two bowls (or technically one, if you are up to rinse it off half way). A muffin tin and parchment paper, to make the liners. Here is a video on how to make your own tulip-shape paper liners.
And here is the full video on how to make these muffins. Check it out!
Ingredients: to make 6 large muffins
For the muffins:
- 1 1/2 cups (225 gr) of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (100 gr) of sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) of vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) of milk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
For the crumble:
- 1/4 cup (35 gr) of all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (50 gr) of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 oz (30 gr) of butter, melted
1. Preheat the oven to 425° F (215° C) and add liners to your muffin tin. I made my own tulip-shaped liners using parchment paper. You can see the video on how to make them here:
2. In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar baking powder and salt.
Add the egg, oil, milk and vanilla extract and mix until just combined
Fold in the blueberries, saving a handful for the top.
Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin fin. Add some blueberries on top.
3. To make the crumble: Melt the butter if you haven’t done so yet, in the microwave for about 30 seconds or in a double-boiler. Whisk together the flour, sugar and cinnamon. Add the melted butter and mix with a fork or spoon. You will get a crumbly mixture to sprinkle on top of the muffins.
4. Bake for 10 minutes at 425° F (215° C). Lower the temperature to 375° F (190° C) without opening the oven or removing the muffins. Bake for an additional 15-20 minutes, until golden on top. Check with a toothpick for readiness.
Remove from muffin tin, and cool on a rack.