bursting with fresh, organic blueberries.
Let’s have a taste of summer!
This week I got blueberries. In the box of home delivered fruits that I receive once a week from a local farm. I really love this service! The fruit is delicious, locally grown, and organic. And what’s even better, every week I’m sure I have enough yummy fruit for my family, even when I don’t have time to run to the farmers’ market. In my house, fruit is one of those things that, no matter how much I buy, it’s never enough … just like Nutella and ice-cream :)
So every Thursday it’s feels like Christmas. Well, Christmas for foodies :) I never know exactly what’s inside this box left at my front door. And I can’t wait for the guy to drop it off, to open it up and find out!
Today I have a container filled with sweet blueberries. And here is what I made. This delicious dessert that combines a layer of soft and fluffy cake, topped with a moist and rich ricotta cheese layer, bursting with my fresh, organic blueberries. I bake it in a large, rectangular pan, I chill it after baking and cut in squares. Perfect size for a fancy breakfast, a fun mid-morning snack for the kids, or a delicious dessert … any time of the day really!
You might remember that I posted a similar recipe before, several months ago. This time I made a few changes. As usual, I modify, experiment and try to improve myself. It doesn’t necessarily always work. But this time I got a winner. A thicker and richer layer of ricotta that makes the whole bar yummier and moist-ier ;)
Be careful thou! You wont’ be able to stop at just one piece. So please, when you bake this (and I know you will once you see how easy it is!) don’t tell me I didn’t warn you.
And of course, I made a video for you.
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup (150 gr) of sugar
- 3 oz (85 gr) of unsalted butter (soften)
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1.5 cups (225 gr) of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon (pinch) of salt
- zest of one lemon
For the top layer:
- 24 oz (1.5 lb = 680 gr) of ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup (100 gr) of sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup (35 gr) of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 12 oz (340 gr) of organic fresh blueberries
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F (175° C). In a large bowl, mix the sugar with the eggs until well blended.
2. Blend in the butter (soften – at room temperature).
3: Blend in the rest of the ingredients: flour, baking powder, salt, vanilla extract, and lemon zest.
Step 5: Pour the mixture on top of the first layer of the cake. Flatten it. Sprinkle with the blueberries.