Looking for a new and interesting way to include more veggies in your diet?! You’ve come to the right page.
These carved-out zucchinis filled with a savory ground meat stuffing are the perfect, fun and wholesome twist to your regular baked zucchini. Very tasty and definitely one of my favorite.
This recipe is fancy enough to serve as a side dish on a special event. Yet so comforting and easy to make for any weeknight dinner, maybe next to a couple of slices of warm bread and a big healthy salad. And they are also great for the kids, especially if you have one of those picky veggie eaters. You can now “hide” the vegetables and turn them into cute, green little boats.
I simply love zucchinis. They are quite versatile, relatively inexpensive and available year round, at least in my little corner of the world. With their low-caloric intake and high values of potassium, folate and vitamin A, these healthy gifts of nature are one of those things that I buy on the regular
… just like ice-cream and chocolate ;)
The delicate flavor of this veggie goes perfectly with the savory stuffing, made with a mix of ground meat, eggs, grated Parmesan cheese, fresh chopped parsley, bread crumbs, and of course garlic if you wish.
Note, you can be prepared this recipe head of time, and warm it in the oven at the last minute. Left overs are always welcomed! Here is the recipe.
Ingredients: serving 4
- 4 large zucchini
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 pound (300 gr) of ground beef (or ground pork, or a mix of the two)
- 4 tablespoons of freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup (30 gr) plus one tablespoon of plain breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons of fresh Italian Parsley, chopped
- 1 garlic clove (optional)
- salt and pepper (1 teaspoon of salt)
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
Preparation time: about 80 minutes
1. Preheat the oven to 350 º F (175º C). Cut the zucchini in half, lengthwise.
Carefully scoop out the inside flesh of the zucchini with a melon baller, trying not to break the “shell”. You can also use a small pointy knife, and if needed help yourself with a spoon.
2. Cut half of the zucchini flesh in small pieces. Save the rest for another recipe – you can always place in a bag and freeze.
In a large bowl combine the chopped up zucchini flesh with the ground meat, 3 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese, 2 eggs, 1/3 cup of breadcrumbs, parsley, salt and pepper, and minced garlic if you wish. Mix until all combined.
3. Place the zucchini halves in a baking pan, sprinkle with salt, and fill with the stuffing.
4. Sprinkle with one tablespoon of breadcrumbs, one of Parmesan cheese and drizzle with olive oil.
Cover with aluminum foil and bake for about 30 minutes. Uncover and finish baking for 20-25 more minutes or until the outer zucchni is soft (but not mushy) and the stuffing is fully cooked.