Happy National Brownie Day!
I honestly didn’t know it was today until I looked at my Instagram feed this morning. And BAM! All these incredible brownies, in all shapes and sizes, popped out at me.
Now, drooling and begging for a bite, I’m going to hit you with mine. Made-from-scratch, hot-out-of-the-oven, double-chocolate brownies. Chewy and fudgy, rich and intensely chocolatey… Dangerous, I’m telling you!
Now, let’s talk chocolate for a minute. For this recipe I used a little bit of cocoa powder for a deep, dark flavor, but mostly real chocolate, for a remarkably rich and fudgy texture. I used what I had in my cupboard, which was one dark and one milk chocolate bar. I love the combination of the two, but you are welcome to mix and experiment. The sweetness of the brownies will vary based on the chocolate you use.
And as a final “wow” touch, add some optional-but-highly-recommended chocolate chips. From a chocoholic to another, why not?!? They will make the brownies explode with little bits of oozing melty chocolate when served warm.
This recipe is quite easy and simple, not much harder than combining a brownie mix from a box. But believe me when I say that these are ten times better made from scratch, with pure chocolate and butter, serve warm right out of your oven. Trust me, I know chocolate ;)
Ingredients: to make a 13 x 9 inches (33 x 23 cm) brownie, cut in 24 pieces
- 6 oz (170 gr) of unsalted butter
- 7 oz (200 gr) of good quality chocolate, I used half dark and half milk chocolate
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup (200 gr) of regular granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (100 gr) of brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cup (200 gr) of all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (20 gr) of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 12 oz (340 gr – one bag) of semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Melt the butter with the chocolate in the microwave for about 30 seconds, set on high. Stir until the chocolate is melted. Place back in the microwave for 10 more seconds if needed. You can almost melt the chocolate by placing it on a double boiler, and whisking until fully melted.
2. Preheat the oven to 350° F (175° C).
In a large bowl, beat the eggs and the white and brown sugar until light and thick. Add the vanilla extract and the melted chocolate/butter and mix some more.
3. Add the flour, cocoa powder and salt. Mix a little, just until combined.
Fold in the chocolate chips with a spoon.
4. Line a 13 x 9 inches (33 x 23 cm) baking pan with parchment paper. Pour the batter, spread and level with a spoon. Bake at 350° F (175° C) for about 35 minutes . Test with a toothpick for readiness. Make sure to check in more than one spot… if you get a chocolate chip, it will not come out clean.
Let the brownies cool down before cutting. I cut 24 squares – 6 x 4