Ingredients: to make a 9 inches (23 cm) cake
- 6 oz (165 gr) of unsalted butter, melted
- 2 oranges (zest and juice)
- 1 lemon (zest)
- 1 cup (200 gr) of sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1.5 cups (225 gr) of all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons (6 gr) of baking powder
for the glaze:
- 1 orange (juice)
- 1/4 cup (30 gr) of powdered sugar
Preparation time: one hour
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175 ° C).
Melt the butter cut in pieces in a double boiler or in the microwave (for 30 seconds, than add 10 seconds intervals, as necessary). Let it cool down.
2. In a bowl, combine the grated zest of two oranges, their juice and the lemon zest.
3. In a separate larger bowl, whisk together the eggs with the sugar.
Add the vanilla extract, the melted butter, the salt and the citrus mixture (zest and juice) and whisk some more. Whisk in the flour and the baking powder. Mix until combined.
4. Grease a 9 in. (23 cm) pan (with removable bottom) with butter and flour. I used parchment paper for the bottom, and I only greased the sides. Pour the batter and level with a spoon.
Bake at 350°F (175 ° C) for 30-35 minutes, until slightly golden on top. Turn off the oven and let the cake rest inside the oven for five minutes.
5. When the cake is almost ready, prepare the orange glaze. In a small pan, mix the orange juice with powdered sugar. Simmer over medium heat for a couple of minutes and pass through a mesh strainer.
Let the cake cool down before removing from the pan, and drizzle with the orange syrup.