I hope you’re looking forward to a 2016 filled with scrumptious dishes and exciting new recipes.
I am READY!!
Let’s start the year with this yummy dessert: Nutella-Banana Cream Tartlets. Sounds great right?!?
I ate something like this a few weeks ago at Superba, here in Venice, California. It was my first time at this restaurant and I was really impressed. The food was amazing and the dessert was unforgettable. Soooo good I had to make it myself. Of course :)
It’s no secret that Nutella and banana are a match made in heaven. And when you add a smooth custard cream AND sinfully delicious whipped cream on top of this goodness, you know you are in for a treat. I guess, everything (or most things) taste amazing covered in whipped cream!
Once you try one of these, you will be hooked!
When I baked these tarts I was trying to keep in mind my (and your) waistline. And making sure we would not give up, already?!?!, on our New Year’s resolution of losing any extra pounds gained over the holidays, and look stunning in our skinny jeans in no time. I made these tarts in a smaller that usual size. Cute little, guilt-free, two-bite size… Or maybe three bites if you are like me and want to savor every single layer this dessert has to offer.
But here is a warning. It might be hard to stop and just eat one. It will take a lot of self control, but I know you can do it :)
Ingredients: to make around 18 tartlets
For the custard cream:
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) of milk
- 1 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup (50 gr) of sugar
- 1 tablespoons (10 gr) of corn starch
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
For the short dough:
- 4 oz (115 gr) of unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup (65 gr) of sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- grated zest of one lemon (optional)
- a pinch of salt
- 1 and 2/3 cups (250 gr) of all-purpose flour
Preparation time: about 45 minutes, plus one hour inactive
1. Start by preparing the custard cream. Warm 3/4 cup of milk, until hot, but not boiling. In another medium size pan, whisk the egg yolk with the 1/4 cup of sugar and the vanilla extract until smooth and fluffy. Whisk in 1 tablespoon of corn starch, making sure there are no lumps. Add a little bit of the warm milk to the egg mixture, whisking well so that no lumps form. Whisk in the rest of the milk.
3. Prepare the sweet short dough. Cream the butter with the sugar. Blend in the egg, the egg yolk, the vanilla extract, and the lemon zest (if you are using it). Add the salt and the flour, and mix until combined.Collect the dough with your hand, make it into a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for about an hour (or longer).
5. Let the tartlet shells cool down completely. Whip the whipped cream with the powdered sugar. Fill the cups with one teaspoon of Nutella or other chocolate spread. Top with one slice of banana, one layer of custard cream and one of whipped cream. Sprinkle with cocoa powder or chocolate sprinkles.