Published 12:01 a.m. ET Sept. 3, 2020 | Updated 2:27 p.m. ET Sept. 3, 2020
With the holidays a few months away, Walmart unveiled its annual “Top Rated by Kids Toy List.”
It’s September, so that means it’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas and holiday shopping. And Walmart has unwrapped its annual list of the toys kids say they want most.
The retailer released its “Top Rated by Kids Toy List” with “36 of the hottest toys for the 2020 holiday season” tested and selected by kids.
In past years, hot toy lists have been accurate in predicting toys children put on their wish lists, with many selling out weeks ahead of Christmas. Walmart, Target and Best Buy have said they will start offering deals for the holiday season earlier than ever to reduce crowds and spread out demand amid the coronavirus pandemic.
Target car seat trade-in 2020: Target’s car seat recycling event returns Sept. 13. Here’s how to trade in a seat for a 20% discount
Amazon Prime, Walmart+ and more: The perks, costs and how membership programs compare
“Toys have really played a critical role in families over the last few months, especially with everyone being at home a lot more,” said Erin Fish, Walmart’s merchandising director for girls fashion dolls, in an interview with USA TODAY, noting how bikes, puzzles and pools have been popular over the past several months.
While some of the toy brands and popular characters have returned – think Paw Patrol, Barbie and L.O.L. Surprise – Walmart’s 2020 list reflects shifts in toy trends seen during the pandemic, Fish said.
www.walmartwonderlab.com, a new site created in partnership with Eko, a developer of interactive video technology.
Several of the toys on the list are exclusives that will only be sold only at Walmart stores and on its website. Some are available for pre-order now.
Experts suggest people start shopping early this holiday season because of possible delays and an expected increase in online sales.
“You’ll see dramatic spikes in e-commerce sales, so shoppers should expect longer shipping times as fulfillment centers run at peak,” said Michael Brown, a partner in the consumer practice at Kearney, a global strategy and management consultant firm. “They’ll also see some inconsistency in delivery times as fulfillment centers may close if a COVID-19 case is discovered.”
Top toys 2020
Walmart’s list is broken down into six categories: popular character toys, high-tech gadgets, interactive play, surprise toys, outdoor toys and indoor entertainment.
Popular character toys
- Frozen 2 – Magic in Motion Elsa Doll ($59.00)
- Blue’s Clues & You Peek-A-Boo ($24.84)
- Paw Patrol Dino Patroller ($59.00)
- The Child Bop It ($14.88)
- LEGO Death Star Final Duel ($89.00)
- Star Wars Dark Saber ($29.84)
- Sensory FX ASMR Mega Bar ($19.88)
- VTech KidiZoom Creator Cam ($59.00)
- Instax Mini 7S Seafoam Green ($59.00)
- onn. 8-inch Tablet Pro ($99.00)
- Disney Princess Vanity ($49.88)
- Gotta Go Flamingo ($28.82)
- FurReal Mama Josie Kangaroo Pet ($67.00)
- Squeakee ($58.00)
- My Life As Hello Kitty Dolls ($35.00)
- Barbie Farm Barn Playset ($74.00)
- L.O.L. Surprise OMG REMIX Dolls ($34.88, available mid-September)
- The Animal ($34.88, available October 1)
- Treasure X – Sharks Treasure ($19.87)
- Hatchimals Crystal Flyers ($29.77)
- Na! Na! Na! Ultimate Surprise ($69.00)
- L.O.L. Surprise Clubhouse Playset ($49.88)
- Ryan’s World Vending Machine ($39.82)
- Jetson Mars Light Up Kick Scooter ($34.94)
- Semi-Truck and Trailer Ride On ($249.00)
- Jetson Plasma Light Up Hoverboard ($148.00)
- Razor Black Label E100 Electric Scooter ($128.00)
- Nerf Fortnite DG ($29.97)
- Tic Tac Tony ($9.97)
- Kinetic Sand Sandwhirlz ($19.82)
- Spark Puppy Piano ($19.82)
- Little People Launch & Loop Raceway ($49.44)
- VTech Helping Heroes Fire Station ($39.82)
- Hot Wheels Sky Crash Tower ($44.68)
- Beyblade Burst Rise Hypersphere Set ($49.67)
- Megalodon Storm RC ($43.88)
Is your Macy’s closing? Macy’s says timeline of permanent store closings could be adjusted as competitors struggle amid COVID-19
Follow USA TODAY reporter Kelly Tyko on Twitter: @KellyTyko
Read or Share this story: https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/09/03/walmart-toy-list-2020-kids-interactive-play-christmas-holiday-gifts/5694280002/